*E* File error on dictionary portion of subfile

Bob Deskin Bob.Deskin at ca.ibm.com
Wed Nov 12 08:11:36 CST 2008

On MPE/iX, regular (i.e. non-portable) subfiles use the file label to
store the subfile dictionary information. There's a limited amount of
space in that file label to store a variable amount of information. For
example, a numeric item with lots of formatting information takes more
space than a character item with no formatting information.

Unless you want to remove or override a lot of formatting information, I
suggest using a portable subfile which has a maximum of 1023 items.

Interesting that this occurred now. I just finished adding a note to the
QTP and QUIZ documentation that says that the limit for format 7 and 8
subfiles on MPE is about 850 items, but in practice (as you've found) is
somewhat less.

Bob